Liverpool Road Railway Station
Grid reference: SJ 829 978
The first purpose built passenger railway station in the world. Opened in 1830 for the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. From 1844 to 1975 was used as a goods depot. Since 1985 has been the core of the Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester. This site of world importance includes the Liverpool Road Station Booking Hall and waiting rooms (SJ 829 978) at track level. The 1830 ‘coach house’ incorporates earlier house of 1808. Superceded in 1844 by the opening of Hunts Bank (Victoria) Station. Liverpool Road Station Transfer Shed (SJ 831 978) built in 1855. Single storey goods shed with large access doors on Liverpool Road elevation. Once had loading platforms inside. Now forms part of the Power Hall of the Museum of Science & Industry, Manchester. The timber-framed and cast-iron 1830 Warehouse (SJ 830 979 is the oldest railway warehouse in the world. Manual and hydraulic hoists remaining. The Lower Byrom Street Warehouse (SJ 832 978) was built in the 1880’s by the Great Western Railway and reached by separate colonnaded goods viaduct. The iron frame and composite roof truss has been left exposed. The Liverpool Road Station Bonded Goods warehouse (SJ 831 979) built in 1865 is owned and occupied by Granada TV.