Grid reference: SJ 843 981
The Britannia Hotel on Portland Street is a former textile warehouse and showroom designed in 1854 by Magnall & Travis for S & J Watts is a spectacular example of the ‘Italianate palace’ style. Each floor characterised by a different style, Italian, Rennaissance and Flemish. Instead of a cornice the warehouse is surmounted by four pavilions, lit by Gothic rose-windows. The back, which was not for show, is a plain brick facade.