Bridgewater Canal Warehouses
Grid references: SJ 831 975; SJ 833 975; SJ 831 974
Completed c1828, this is the earliest surviving warehouse on site. Brick built of 4 storeys, shipping holes with hoisting points. Partly destroyed by fire in 1971, now converted in to office accommodation, but retaining loop holes and catheads on Castle St.
c1986 Reconstruction, of warehouse owned by Gilbert & Henshall. between 1811-1836. Later owned by the Manchester Grocers’ Co. Reconstruction includes over shot water wheel. Site originally developed by James Brindley in c1770. Originally in tunnel with 22 feet deep shaft, site of water wheel powered hoist below and to the rear of present structure. Hoist raised boxes of coal to the then street level. This system went out of use when Rochdale canal was cut though in 1805. Note original tunnel roof can be seen from towpath opposite, forming part of later canal arm.
Built in 1831 in use up to the 1970’s. was later owned by the Manchester Ship Canal Co for storing maize. Note the elliptical arch above shipping holes. The loading platforms have been converted to balconies. Now used as apartments and by local radio station.